Modern Foreign Languages
“There are doubtless many different languages in the world, and none is without meaning.”
According to the National Curriculum, learning a foreign language 'provides an opening to other cultures'. Here at Wolvey C of E, we have chosen to teach French in KS2. The subject leaders is Mrs Harman. All teachers in KS2 will be teaching MFL.
Children are encouraged to:-
- Listen attentively to spoken language and show understanding by joining in and responding
- Engage in conversations, ask and answer questions, express opinions and respond to those of others, and seek clarification and help
- Read carefully and show understanding of words, phrases and simple writing
- Broaden their vocabulary and develop their ability to understand new words that are introduced into familiar written material, including through using a dictionary
- Write phrases from memory, and adapt these to create new sentences, expressing their ideas clearly
- Describe people, places, things and actions in speech and in writing
Topics that have already been covered in the Autumn 1 unit 'Ourselves' include:-
- numbers 0-10
In the coming term, we will be revising these topics as well as introducing:-
Our children look forward to French lessons and because of their young minds and instinctive curiosity, seem to retain new vocabulary almost effortlessly. They are often heard practising new words and phrases in the school corridors! We also use French for our daily register!