Here at Wolvey, our Geography curriculum is intended to inspire pupils with a curiosity and fascination about the world and its people that will remain with them for the rest of their lives. Having a high number of children from military and traveller backgrounds, gives us the opportunity to celebrate different countries and their cultures through first hand experiences. Teaching equips pupils with knowledge about diverse places, people, resources and natural and human environments, together with a deep understanding of the Earth’s key physical and human processes.
To ensure that our children can learn from home, we subscribe to www.oddizzi.com. Each child has their own login so they can learn more about the topics we are studying in school
Displays In School
Each classroom has a Geography board, displaying pertinent information that will help the children whilst they are learning. Where possible, we also make books available that the children can enjoy.
Orienteering At Wolvey!
Each year, Year 6 takes part in orienteering activities both in and off the school site, at local conservation areas. We believe orienteering is really important for the following reasons:
- It is good exercise for both the body and mind.
- It supports geography, mathematics and citizenship studies as well as the PE curriculum. Students experience new terrains and use scaled maps to work out distances while on the move.
- Orienteering has school competitions and championships at every level, enabling ambitious students to take their passion outside the classroom and get competitive if they want to.
- It can broaden students’ horizons, ensure that they spend time outdoors and boost life skills that are transferable to the classroom, social life and the wider world.
Orienteering enables student to:
- push themselves and rise to a new challenge
- learn the often confusing art of map-reading
- make decisions
- strengthen team-working and negotiation skills (Important in preparation for transition to KS3)
- develop a sense of independence